Search Title

Sunday 19 February 2012

Utsuro no Hako:Volume2 May 18 (ch8)

Utsuro no Hako:Volume2 May 18

While crumpling up a package of beef tongue flavored Umaibous, I looked around in the classroom. My classmates weren't minding me anymore in particular. They only seem a little nervous because of the midterm tests that start tomorrow.
"Ya, Kazu-kun!"
"Ouch"
Kokone chopped on my head while greeting me.
"......Morning."
"You know, I was actually only strolling. In Shibuya."
"Hah?"

Kokone started suddenly to talk triumphantly.
"I just planned to go to Marui or to listen to some music at HMV. But I guess the world just can't overlook my charm! And this E-Cup of mine!"
Now it's even one size bigger...
She laid a fashion magazine on my desk and pointed her finger on it. There was a photo of Kokone standing in town with a smile in there.
"Ah, wow."
These were my honest impressions. Kokone became even more elated.
"Hohoho, by the way, in those merely two hours I was addressed five times, including flirts. I rejected them but then I was even scouted as model... Sigh... society just doesn't seem to let go of me. So, how do you like this photo? How is it?"
"......Well, good I guess?"
"You think so, too? And just look at my comment! «I just mistook the cords of my parka for my earphones and put them into my ear!☆,» what a tasteful comment of a cute clumsy girl. That's Moe."
"Moe, right."
Because it would probably get long if I said unnecessary things, I answered randomly.
Kokone said then with a bad-tempered voice to Haruaki, who had watched with half-opened eyes:
"...What, Haru?"
"No, nothing. I was just thinking that singing one's own praises is gross."
"...guys that have only jerseys at home are gross."
"What!? Don't make fun of my Adidas jerseys!"
"I'm not particularly making fun of Adidas. I'm making fun of you."
Seeing this exchange, I smiled without thinking.
Lucky me. This means that my everyday life has returned so much that such exchanges can take place.
In fact, I was on the verge of becoming unable to see this anymore. The 'Sevennight in Mud' may have been destroyed, but the happenings during it have not disappeared. The fact that I confessed to Kokone doesn't disappear.
It's all thanks to Maria's wittedness that we could return to such a relationship.
I recalled this risky exchange that happened at Mogi-san's hospital room.



It was at afternoon on May 09th.
Mogi-san was sitting on her white bed, wearing the pajamas I had seen many times on the photograph on my mobile phone. Kokone was standing next to her with open hairs today.
Both of them were scowling at me.
Of course I had taken notice of those gazes, so I stared at the mattress of the bed in order to avoid making eye contact. At the corner of my vision I could see Maria's legs.
...Is this what you call 'battlefield'?
"I would appreciate an explanation, Hoshino-kun."
I stiffened up to Mogi-san's voice, which was razor sharp and calm at the same time.
"So you confessed to Koko-chan even though you had Otonashi-san as girlfriend? What does this mean? I didn't know you were such a careless boy...?"
Kokone had consulted her good friend Mogi-san about the confession.
As a result, we were called by her, and now we're here.
"Koko-chan had already told me that you seem to be on good terms with Otonashi-san... but judging from what I heard, I can only conclude that you're already going out, right?"
"Err..."
"......Why didn't you just tell if you're going out?... I look stupid for thinking that we got on better terms recently..."
The sharpness disappeared slowly from Mogi-san's voice. Her expression clouded clearly.
"Explain it to us, Kazu-kun!"
Kokone said in anger.
"W-Well, umm... W-We're not going out, to begin with."
[TL Note: his stuttering made "Tsukiau" (go out) to "Tsuttsukiau", which may be translated as "feel each other"]
"You haven't groped each other?! T-That's not what I asked! How erotic..."
"Why such a clichéd misunderstanding! That's wrong!"
"I can't believe you anymore! I'm amazed that you can say such a thing in front of Otonashi-san! Even though you call each other by the first name!"
Because we were being noisy in the hospital room, the glances focused on us. Not even the nurses dared to approach us and just watched us from far away. ...Couldn't you come and rebuke us please?
Kokone took a big breath and looked with a serious face at Maria.
"...Do you have no issue with him? Why are you so composed, though Kazu-kun confessed to me?"
"Mh. ...Well."
Maria crossed her arms to Kokone's words. She looked at me at a glance and curled her mouth slightly up. ...I have a bad feeling.
"Disturbance because of his confession to Kirino. Of course there is none."
"...Why?"
"Because I made him do it."
Everyone was shocked. Of course, I'm included.
Umm, what did Maria just blurt out?
"...........What does this mean? Otonashi-san has tempted Kazu-kun to confess to me?"
"Exactly."
"...K-Kazu-kun, what on earth?!" "Hoshino-kun, what's the meaning of this?!"
No, I want to know that myself.
"Since Kazuki can't explain it properly anyway, I'll do the explanation."
Maria's mouth was still curled-up while she said so.
She's definitely enjoying this situation...
"First, as a fact I have to mention right away, I got dumped by Kazuki."
Kokone and Mogi-san looked at me with wide eyes. N-No, really, I don't understand, too!
"Thinking back now, he said something like «I think nothing of a minor being like you»."
There's no way I'd say such a thing, is there?!

"What the... that's too conceited, isn't it? Kazu-kun should go die."
"E-Even I found this repulsive just now, I think."
"No, err......"
I wanted to make excuses, but since I don't know what Maria's up to, I couldn't say anything.
"I couldn't accept this harsh rejection readily. But well, if he had another person he likes, I would surely not give up, but I would accept the rejection. So I asked. If there is someone he likes."
"A-And there he answered with his L-O-V-E for me!"
"Well yeah, after quite a long time of hesitating, he mentioned your name."
Kokone reddened slowly while babbling "Ee, err", upon hearing Maria's words. Mogi-san turned contrastively blue, next to her. ...this looks kinda like a traffic light.
"But listen, having heard Kirino's name, I could still not fully believe him. Because they looked to me like mere friends. That's why I urged him to confess to her in front of my eyes and that I would accept it if he had done so."
"And so Hoshino-kun confessed to Koko-chan..."
Mogi-san murmured so, seeming close to tears. Kokone was still blushed and looked worriedly at Mogi-san with side-glance.
...hey, Maria, what are you scheming...?
"Well, but Kazuki has just now revoked his statement that he loves Kirino."
"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHH"
Kokone shouted out.
"K-Kokone, this is a hospital!"
"Shut up you damn capricious bastard."
"......"
"In short. In the end, that he loved Kirino was just a random lie he told me in order to turn me aside. Being threatened by me to confess, he was already unable to retreat."
"Mmh... I got the situation. But... But, but! I still think this is a bit cruel to me!"
"Doesn't this indicate just how much he trusts you? Didn't he believe that you, as a dear friend, would forgive him if he apologized?"
"Mmmmmmh..."
"Maybe he didn't mind even if you misunderstood him by any chance?"
"Eh?!"
Kokone turned red again.
...No, really, why did you add an unnecessary line there, Maria?
"But this does not change the fact that we involved you, Kirino. Kazuki and I regret what we have done. Please forgive us."
"I-I'm really sorry..."
I felt the chance to apologize here. Kokone's cheeks were still faintly red when she narrowed her eyes and looked at me.
".....Have you reflected on your behavior?"
"Y-Yes. I'm sorry."
Seeing me say words of reconsideration, Kokone pursed her lips and spoke.
"Got it! I'll forgive you. But don't do that a second time! No matter how much I'm used to confessions, even I got startled, you know! I worried so much about what I should do that I couldn't sleep that night, you know!"
"So you're used to confessions."
"Hah! Within the single year since the school entrance I have easily reached double figures! ...AH, that doesn't matter now! Have you reflected properly?!"
"S-Sorry. I have, properly..."
Kokone had raised a loud voice again, was smiling relieved.
Kokone, too, had wished for our relationship to return.
If we preserve the everyday life everyone wishes for like this, it won't be destroyed so easily.
"Okay then, I'll go home."
I said so and tried to leave the room after winking to Maria. ...to be honest, I want to leave quickly because those many glances on us are pretty embarrassing.
"Wait a moment."
"...What's the matter, Mogi-san?"
"Umm, err... you dumped Otonashi-san, right? So I wondered why you are still together...? You really aren't going out, right?"
Mogi-san asked with a trembling voice.
"Err... well, yeah."
She looked alternately at me and Maria, and looked down.
"......Uuh, just watch! I'll be discharged from hospital in no time! I must quickly return to school. I'm uneasy... very uneasy..."
"D-Don't worry, Kasumi! I'll supervise him!"
Mogi-san went into a huff upon hearing Kokone's words.
"...Koko-chan. You looked pretty happy when she said «Maybe he didn't mind even if you misunderstood him by any chance»."
"I-I didn't!"
Mogi-san scowled at me with teary eyes for some reason.
"Hoshino-kun, you silly!"
"Uh..."
"Why did you do this false confession to Koko-chan and not to me?!"
Uuuh... does the problem lie there?



Lunch break.
Maria and I were facing each other at a table in the school cafeteria. Maria was slurping some Ramen, that tastes like gum, expressionlessly.
Though she looked so happy back then when she ate strawberry tarte. Well, but when I was about to take a photo unconsciously, she hit me seriously and continued eating with a grimace.
"Kazuki, will you come to my place today as well?"
The male student next to her spouted out his fried rice.
"I'm considering going to the library room today. What do you think?"
"I don't mind."
I visited Maria's room in the last two days. It wasn't really for fun, she just taught me because of the upcoming tests, since she's by far the top student of our school.
But still, a second year student that's taught by a first year...
"Mh, but she won't come, huh. Can't be helped, I'll eat up the remaining stew, though it's a bit much."
"...it was tasty, honestly."
"I haven't asked for your impressions."
She said coldly, although I took her into consideration.
"But still---"
Going to Maria's room; if «she» heard our conversion I bet she'd get moody.
Thinking about this, I recalled how «she» always ate next to Maria until two weeks ago.
It's almost as before. Mogi-san started pouting in hospital and Daiya still ceases to speak with me, but I think I have regained a comfortable life.
However, Riko Asami and Ryuu Miyazawa do not exist in this everyday life anymore.
Our Golden Week had been prolonged for four days, so school didn't start until May 11th. This is because the suspect of a murder incident went to this school. While we were resting, the principal of our school appeared on TV and said something about Miyazawa-kun being an excellent and serious student.
The first day after holidays was a big fuss. It was such a pandemonium that some girls seriously cried and the media overran us with their cameras. It didn't look anything like the usual classroom scene anymore.
But after one week, the classroom was as before.
Our class mates declared mentioning only the name «Ryuu Miyazawa» to a silent taboo. His name is compulsorily associated with that murder incident, which leads to the unusual. For the sake of preserving the everyday life, not even his name may exist.
Of course I'm going to remember Miyazawa-kun. I won't be able to forget him. And still, Miyazawa-kun will not even appear in the conversations of the members of this class.
Miyazawa-kun cannot return to this everyday life anymore.
And it's not any different for his sister, Riko Asami.
At the moment this incident was announced, her place disappeared from here. Although not even their classmates knew that Riko Asami was the sister of Ryuu Miyazawa, it's now known all over the country. Her photo and address were uploaded to a giant bulletin board and she was entirely overran by the media and curious people, though being a family member of the victims actually.
Asami-san retired from school before we knew.
"Kazuki, what's the matter? You're making far eyes."
Maria asked me after completing her Ramen.
"Ah, no, it's nothing..."
"You recalled Asami, didn't you? ...Geez, you only think about girls."
"Don't phrase it so suggestively..."
Maria smiled happily at me when I was disturbed. I'm convinced now. This person is definitely S. No, well, I knew that already long ago, though.
"You don't need to worry about Asami. You know this much, right?"
Maria said with her smile.
I, too, smiled unknowingly to those words and nodded.
Right, I don't worry about her.
I took my mobile phone and opened the most recent voice file.
«Good morning Kazuki Hoshino-kun. Or should I say good day?»
This was a greeting that was exactly the same as the first one of her. But it wasn't the voice of Kazuki Hoshino, but the one of a girl.
The voice of Riko Asami.
The creation time of this file was 02:00 on May 06th according to the file properties. Just about when Maria and I left the family restaurant. I don't know when she had stolen my phone, but Maria entrusted her arbitrarily with it.
For the sake of letting her leave me this message.
«What should I say? Maybe: I'm sorry for all the troubles? If you forgave me just with words, I'd say as much as you want. But I guess that's not possible. You won't forgive me, and I have done something of this magnitude.»
That's not right at all. Resentment is a hindrance in the everyday life, after all.
«Similarly I think that Nii-san's sin will also never be forgiven, no matter how many punishments he may undergo. He may get 10, 20 or even more years in prison, but his sin won't be forgiven when he leaves there. His deed was, while being for my sake, not right. I'm sure he will slowly notice the weight of his sin. I also think his heart is going to break several times. But you know? He will be alright! After all, Nii-san said «I made it in time» while knowing of all this.»
Her voice was bright and didn't give me the impression of a bluff at all.
Those were Asami-san's true feelings, without doubt.
«I am alright, too. I finally realized it. I won't lose sight anymore.»
She knew that she will have to go through great troubles. She knew already that she won't be returning to this school a second time.
And even so, she said:
«I am Riko Asami.»
The message ended here.
I don't know what kind of pains she will have to endure. But she will never call herself 'no one' again.
Therefore, she's going to be alright.
For sure.
Asami-san didn't tell anyone where she'd go - not even Maria. Thus, there's no real basis, but there is this rumor that I have heard a few times.
According to it, Riko Asami is living and working in a farm in Hokkaido.
I hope this is true. I hope she's building a place for Miyazawa-kun to return to there.
That I'm convinced that she's able to do it might be because I'm optimistic. But even so, I can believe.
I can believe that they will regain a life in which they can laugh happily together again.

"Aah, so you were together with Otonashi."
I came to my senses again when I heard those words. I raised my head to this voice I had missed.
Daiya was standing in front of me.
Despite not having talked to me since he punched me, he sat down next to Maria as if nothing had happened.
...I-I wonder what's the matter? Does he perhaps want to make peace with me? I hope so, but I don't think he'd be able to say honestly so.
"Kazuki."
"Y-Yeah?"
"I heard the reason for your inexplicable behavior!"
Maybe Kokone told him about what we talked in this hospital room?
Daiya grinned boldly at me, who was dumbfounded. At once, I noticed something. The piercing that was originally only attached to his left ear could now also be seen on his right one.
Daiya stated then:
"You've associated with '0', haven't you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment