Search Title

Sunday 19 February 2012

Utsuro no Hako:Volume2 May 1 (ch3)

Utsuro no Hako:Volume2 May 1


May 1 (Friday) 08:14

Kokone ignored my nonchalant "Good morning".
Though she usually drops in arbitrarily into my conversations, today she was strangely distant and talked to other classmates instead. But despite this, she sneaked peeks at me from time to time, with a slightly scary face.
I don't know what her reason was. I have no idea why she suddenly started acting like this. Since I wasn't in the mood to happily chat with my other friends with this state of things, I tried to appear unapproachable by eating a cheese-flavored Umaibou.
"Did you do anything to Kiri?"

As expected from Daiya. He ignored my delicate signs completely and asked me point-blank.
"...Dunno."
"I see... Mh, right. I'll tell you something good."
"Something good?"
Does he perhaps know the reason for Kokone's strange attitude this morning?
"It's about the time she took her first periodic test in the first year of junior middle school. She was eager to get good marks---since it was her first---and studied almost all night. Because of that, she fell asleep during the test in the third lesson. It would have been no problem if she just slept silently, but no, she talked in her sleep inside the silent classroom. If I remember correctly, it was something like 'Aah, this plug suit is too tight, I don't fit in...'."
"...say, Daiya, what are you talking about?"
"What I'm talking about? I'm talking about her weak point. She doesn't dislike others so easily. This is your chance to get away from her by getting on her bad side. Tell her this now and you’re out of the game!"
"Uhm, I don't want that, you know...? And I think that story is pretty cute, actually."
"No, it stays cute only up to that point. It gets funny starting from there, you know? From there on starts Kokone's Drool Legend."
Because I had a bad premonition about this, I blocked my ears wordlessly. But Daiya grabbed my arms.
"No, I won't listen anymore!"
"Noo, it's not about this story. Just look there!"
I looked in the direction Daiya was pointing. Otonashi-san and a male student were facing each other and were talking about something, with quite serious expressions.
The intellectual male student wearing glasses with black frames on his long, narrow eyes is the class committee chairman Ryuu Miyazawa. Unlike Daiya, who was elected for this position in the first year just because of his grades, he does his work with awareness of his responsibility. Being an honor student but not a wonk, he is popular as a reliable chairman with all.
Unwillingly, I approached them. To be honest, I have trouble dealing with Miyazawa-kun's self-confident attitude.
"...What's wrong?"
The two of them turned around to me when I addressed them.
"Oh, Kazuki. Well, I was going to enter the classroom but then this guy stopped me."
"Isn't that natural? Why do you unconcernedly enter the classroom of your seniors? It's not even lunch break!"
Which reminds me, Otonashi-san seldomly comes here when it's not lunch break. Maybe it's because she at least paid lip service to the school rules, rather than ignoring them outright.
"I bet you're planning on carrying Hoshino off somewhere again, am I right?"

"What I do with Kazuki is none of your business."
"Oh, it is my business. I'm committee chairman for the time being. I have the task of managing the students of this class. Can't you see that the first lesson is about to start? If you took him away now, you wouldn't be in time for the start."
"I couldn't care less. We have something to do that is more important than anything else."
At first, I didn't know what she meant by that, but after thinking about it, I realized that there was only one possibility.
――It had to be about the 'box'.
For me, this is also a task that was more important than anything else.
"Um... Miyazawa-kun. I'm sorry. I'll go with her."
When I said so, he stared at me with a critical frown. I reflexively stepped back from this piercing gaze.
"Say, do you listen to everything she tells you?"
"T-That's not it."
"What a pathetic guy you are. How about having your own thoughts instead of being ordered about by a girl?"
"Hey, I can't accept that. With this phrasing it sounds almost like Kazuki doesn't have his own will."
Otonashi-san interjected him. Miyazawa grinned to her objection and answered.
"Yeah, sorry. Were you offended by your beloved being badmouthed? Ah, or, did it bother you that I implied that he's ordered about by your selfishness?"
"You---"
Otonashi-san scowled coldly at him. Miyazawa chuckled.
"What? If you want to obje――-"
"You seem like you're acting on purpose."
Upon hearing her, Miyazawa stopped his words.
"Being the committee chairman is too weak a reason for meddling in our affairs like this. You didn't seem to care a bit until now, did you? What is it, all of a sudden? What do you intend by approaching us forcibly? Are you trying to invent some pretext that enables you to approach us naturally from now on?"
"...I have no idea what you're talking about."
"In that case, very well. Your behavior just caught my eye because I can't help but be sensitive to my environment as things are now. One can't be too careful. Also, if it wasn't just a misunderstanding of mine, then this should have had at least a deterrent effect on you."
I watched their verbal sparring in mute amazement. What did Otonashi-san say all of a sudden?
"Kazuki, let's go."
Otonashi-san said so and pulled me with her.
"Ah, yeah..."

Miyazawa-kun was looking wordlessly at my grabbed arm with a faintly stiffened face. Certainly, it may be a little strange that he got involved with us, although he usually has nothing to do with us.
When I was pulled out of the classroom, Haruaki, who was apparently in the restroom, and Asami, who chased after Otonashi-san, were standing there.
"Oh, what's up Hoshii? On the run?"
"...on the run..."
Asami-san heard Haruaki's thoughtless words and looked with a sticky gaze at our joined hands. After that, she raised her gaze slightly and looked with narrowed eyes at me. ...scary.
"Oh, what's wrong Rikochii? You're acting strange today."
She continued to stare at me without caring about this nickname she would usually get angry about.
"A-Asami-san seems a bit odd since yesterday... right Haruaki?"
"Mh? Really?"
Haruaki, forgetting about yesterday is just too airheaded.
"...Maria-san."
"Sorry, but I'm in a hurry now."
She said so, glancing at Asami once, and turned around. Asami-san seemed struck by her attitude and cast her eyes down.
Then she murmured something.
"......if only the underground board of this school would get spammed with slander of Kazuki Hoshino and pictures that ruin his dignity from the stump..."
Otonashi-san's attitude isn't even my fault!

May 1 (Friday) 08:31

Like yesterday, we're behind the school building again.
"You know what this is about, right?"
I swallowed, and nodded to her question while she leaned against the wall. I suppose she had new information about the 'box' that's currently in use.
"There are several things I want to ask you."
"Okay."
"Why is it that we're often together like we are now?"
"Why? ...well, because being by my side is convenient for you, isn't it? Since you're likely to meet '0' this way."
"...exactly."
I considered this to be a problem-free answer, but Otonashi-san frowned.
"Wait. So this means you're aware of your position and definitely haven't misunderstood things, right?"
"...? What do you mean?"
"That is---you see! ...no, never mind. Right, there's no way you'd say something like this with halfhearted feelings. I have to answer you earnestly. I just wanted to get away from this. Kazuki, I---"
"Wait a sec!"
When I had interrupted her, Otonashi-san raised her voice.
"---Why did you interrupt me!"
"S-Sorry... but what on earth are you talking about? Wasn't it about the 'box'?"
"About the 'box'...? What are you saying? The 'box' is important, sure enough, but it should be obvious that I asked you to come because of your call yesterday?"
"Call yesterday?"
"Yes, yesterday’s---"
Her voice cut off, her eyes opening wide as she took a deep breath.
"...I see. The mail from the day before yesterday. No, but that shouldn't... having spent this much time together with Kazuki, this should not happen even if it's via phone..."
"Otonashi-san...?"
"Kazuki, I'm going to check something now."
She stopped murmuring and proclaimed so, distinctly.
"Yesterday, you---confessed to me over the phone, right?"
Confession?
Does she mean «confession» as in «Will you go out with me»?
"You announced to me over phone that you would confess again personally tomorrow---or in other words, today."
"I―I didn't---"
"Yeah, you wouldn't do that. Right, thinking about it, that's true."
"Of course I wouldn't! W-Why did you suddenly claim that I did such a---"
"Then just confirm it with your cell phone."
Being told to do so in a calm tone, I nodded, took out my mobile phone and checked my dialed calls.
The name at the top:
«Maria Otonashi»
The time of the call was May 01, 01:49AM.
That's impossible. I should have been asleep at that time. I don't remember calling Otonashi-san.
"Yesterday... no, date-wise, today. You annoyingly called me at two o'clock deep in the night and confessed to me. This is how I know the current state of affairs."
There's no way I'd do that. But on the other hand, Otonashi-san wouldn't lie and make this up just to tease me.
However, by no means could I possibly have done anything I didn't do.
"Could it be somebody's prank? I don't know how they did it, though."
"A prank...huh? So in short, you're telling me that someone used your mobile phone to confess to me as a prank or something?"
It may sound unreasonable, but that's the only thing I can think of. When I was about to nod, Otonashi-san continued.
"With the exact same voice as you?"
"---Huh?"
Otonashi-san continued when I opened my mouth without thinking like an idiot.
"As long as you don't have a twin brother from whom you were separated at birth, I shall assert this. This was without doubt your voice, Kazuki."
"Y-You just heard wrongly! You just mistook the caller for me because the call came from my phone number... probably..."
"Kazuki, I have spent a human lifetime together with you. It is not possible that I would mistake your voice."
Her expression was filled with conviction. I don't think she mistook someone else for me either.
But that means that I'm the one that confessed to her? No, that's not possible either. Otonashi-san is convinced that it was my voice, and I am also convinced that I didn't confess to her. But there was a call, in fact.
"It's contradicting..."
"Right, it's contradicting. Absolutely. Therefore---"
Right.
Such a contradiction shouldn't be possible. Therefore---
"This is the---deed of the 'box'."
My chest reflexively tightened when I heard the word 'box'. Though I still don't know what's happening, my chest already hurt with fear.
"We have to hurry up and find a countermeasure. The 'owner' is obviously targeting us. And with ill will at that."
"What should I...?"
"Let's think... I need some time to sort out the situation. For now, please wait until I have an answer. I'll decide on how we're going to act."
I nodded wordlessly.
"Then this conversation has ended. I'll return to my classroom."
Otonashi turned around with these words and left without looking back.

May 1 (Friday) 09:32

When I returned to the classroom after the first lesson ended, Kokone was already standing with a daunting pose beside the door. For some reason, she scowled at me when our eyes met. Her face was slightly red. Maybe she's angry?
"......I've been waiting..."
"Huh?"
"I've been waiting for you to approach me!"
She raised her voice moodily.
"Despite this you skipped the first lesson together with that girl! What's with that! I don't get it! You're being cryptic, Kazu-kun!"
In my view, the reason for Kokone getting so agitated was cryptic, but for now I decided to keep that to myself.
But this behavior of mine seemed to irritate her again, so she backed me up against the wall of the corridor while grumbling "Nh~~~~".
"Err... I'm sorry."
"Why do you apologize?!"
"Huh? ...I-I'm sorry."
"No really, why do you apologize?!"
Kokone drew even closer to me, while I couldn't help but to become more bewildered.
"Or do you want to apologize?! Do you want to undo it by apologizing?! Isn't that cruel?! W-Well... that would save me, though..."
"W-Wait... what are you talking about?"
We're talking past each other like I did just before.
...Eh? Wait a sec. So then, don't tell me---
"Why don't you get it, I wonder?! That is---... T-That is... you see..."
Her face reddened even more, and now it was crimson up to her ears.
If it's what I think it is, then I don't want to hear it. Kokone, however, whispered into my ear after she checked to see if anyone were nearby.
"I'm talking about---your confession via phone yesterday."
What...? I confessed to her?
I lost my words and became speechless. Kokone looked at me with upturned eyes.
"Well... I..."
I don't know exactly how she interpreted my behavior, but she cast her eyes down. She chewed on her words for a while, but then began to talk.
"I'm sorry... I-I don't know how I should react... I mean... I considered you a friend, and thought all the time you'd think so, too... And then... he doesn't have anything to do with it, but still... there's Daiya..."
She clenched her fist as if to muster some courage and looked at me.
"...please wait. I don't know when I can give you my answer, but please wait until then. ...Sorry."
She seemed really pained---which almost made my heart break. That confession wasn't mine! I wanted to say so, but such an explanation would be completely meaningless. I absolutely cannot tell her.
Kokone grasped this painful expression of mine in a different sense and formed an unhappy expression that matched mine.
Then she turned around and trotted back into the classroom.
I waited until she completely disappeared into the classroom and murmured.
"I, too, consider you a friend!"
I clenched my fist.
Then a thought suddenly occurred to me. I took out my mobile phone and examined my dialed calls. ...Why didn't I notice when I looked before? The timestamp is May 1, 01:29AM.
Below the name «Maria Otonashi» was the name «Kokone Kirino».

May 1 (Friday) 11:00

Well then, let's see how things went.

May 1 (Friday) 12:00

The first thing I heard was a girl crying.
Daiya's face was right in front of me, at point-blank range. I don't have the slightest idea what's going on.
What's this?
Unambiguous hostility was dwelling in Daiya's gaze. Directed at whom? No question about it. I was the one reflected in those eyes at point-blank range. In other words, he was looking at me as an enemy.
Then I was struck with delayed pain. The region around my cheeks and mouth was aching. Both my hands were aching as well.
Daiya had mounted me and had grabbed both my wrists.
I finally managed to grasp the situation.
We're in the music room. Although I am, in fact, supposed to be in the third lesson, which is history, I am currently in the music room, which we should been in only during the fourth lesson. Blood is stuck to my uniform. Who's blood? ...probably my own. After all I've been tasting iron in my mouth just now. I have a cut in my mouth, apparently, because Daiya had hit me.
What happened... what on earth happened?!
"Daiya... what's---"
"Don't open your mouth, Kazu. If you say more than you already did, I'll crush this mouth of yours."
The hostility in his eyes is serious. Those plain words aren't exaggerating, so I bet he would really use violence if I said anything unnecessary.
What's this nightmare?
But if it was a nightmare, this pain wouldn't be so real and strong.
So this is reality.
The crying had still not ceased. ---who's crying?
I looked in the corresponding direction.
Kokone Kirino was crying.
The first sensation I got was understanding. I see. So that's why Daiya hadn't been stopped by her even when it had escalated to this situation. The next sensation was a question. Why Kokone?
And then again the next sensation that expanded was horror.
---no way.
I confirmed the current situation. Kokone was crying and Daiya was in a rage. So who made her cry? So who made him angry? I am in the music room. Hence it should be the fourth lesson now. I don't have any memories of what happened during this time. But still I'm here. In a place different from where I was before. In other words---
---I moved unknowingly?
For example, like when I had unknowingly sent a mail to Otonashi-san and confessed to her.
For example, like when I had unknowingly confessed to Kokone and destroyed our relationship.
For example, what if I had unknowingly done something that hurt Kokone, and provoked Daiya's anger?
"Isn't it enough already, Daiyan?"
Haruaki said so and laid his hand on Daiya's shoulder.
«Isn't it enough already»?
Does this mean I did something that's worth getting knocked down and punched once or twice?
Daiya let go of my hands by throwing them to the ground and stood up slowly while still scowling at me. And then almost like to take the occasion---

"Ugh!"
---he stomped on my stomach with all his strength and turned his back on me.
I squirmed with pain. I saw the faces in my surroundings. Everyone---my classmates, the music teacher and even Haruaki---was looking at me as if looking at something unidentifiable. Kokone pressed her face against Daiya's chest and cried even louder.
I tried to rise. Because of the pain, I wasn't immediately successful. But nobody lent me a hand.
I started thinking in a posture that resembled genuflecting.
Why do I have to endure this? Why is this considered acceptable to everyone else? I don't know what happened. But I do know the origin.
---It's the 'box'.
Right, the 'box' is to blame. It's not my fault. I haven't done anything!
So why do I have to go through this regardless!
I stood up, on my own.
Though they were all looking at me, no one came to my side.
I'm aware of it. No one would know that this is the fault of the 'box'. Hence, no one tries to come in contact with me. No one approaches me. No one addresses me. No one. Not Daiya, Kokone or even Haruaki. No one. No one. No one no one no one---

"Kazuki, are you alright?"

No one but her.
A smile formed on my lips. The surroundings had frozen on her appearance---probably because it's still in the midst of the lesson. But I didn't wonder a bit.
"...Maria."
Upon hearing me call her real name without thinking, she opened her eyes wide while standing outside of the door to the music room. But she instantly concealed this expression again and rushed to my side.
Ignoring how no one approached me before, she stood in front of me, drew so near to my face that I could see her individual eyelashes and gently touched my swollen cheek.
"First of all, let's get your wounds treated. Follow me to the infirmary."
"...Okay."
I followed her silently when she started to walk.
No one called out to us while we did so.
The crying grew louder as soon I had left the classroom. At least, to me, it seemed to do so.

May 1 (Friday) 12:17

No one was in the infirmary.
When she had realized this, Otonashi-san looked at my injuries and touched it, and then she took a medicine box out of the shelf and started treating my wound with deft movements.
"But I never thought I would come upon such a disastrous scene when I went to you because I had some thoughts concerning the 'box'."
She asked while disinfecting my wound.
"You have no memories, right?"
I nodded. For some reason she seemed horribly annoyed and sighed.
"It's really always the same with you since the 'Rejecting Classroom'. I'm starting to get annoyed by that, you know?"
"...well, what can I do about it?"
"Of course, I'm just joking."
While saying so, Otonashi-san reached out for my head and applied some gauze.
"The first thing I saw was the part where Oomine stepped on you. Do you also not remember what happened before that?"
"...the time I regained consciousness, he was already on top of me."
"So you don't have the slightest idea why he hit you?"
"Yeah. I don't know why."
Having heard my answer, she crossed her arms.
"Kazuki, do you have your cell phone with you right now?"
"My cell phone? It should be inside the pockets of my pants..."
"Something might be left on it. Try searching thoroughly."
I started quickly to press the buttons as I've been told.
Received Calls, Dialed Calls, Inbox, Outbox. None of them had changed in my view. I opened the data folder.
«Voice Folder»
I had one? I opened it.
There was one file named with 12 digits. I guess the digits state the time the file was created. If it wasn't edited in specific since, this file was created at May 1, at about 2 AM. Or in other words, yesterday deep in the night.
I opened the file and pressed the phone to my ear.
A voice started playing.

«Good morning Kazuki Hoshino-kun. Or should I say, good day?»

What's that?
I paused the file reflexively. Why is the voice of some unfamiliar guy recorded on my cell phone? Why is this guy talking to me?
"What's wrong Kazuki? Did you come upon anything?"
I wasn't able to answer her, and pressed the play button again, with trembling fingers.
«Well, doesn't matter I guess. After all, you don't care about such a detail either. What you care about who I am, isn't it? Ah, right, right. You know about the 'box', right? '0' explained it to you, right? So there's no need for me to explain that to you?»
He knows about 'boxes' as well as '0'? So is this guy the 'owner'?
«You should have noticed already that your everyday life started to get destroyed. Yeah, that's very good. After all, I'm doing that on purpose. Why, you ask? To eliminate you, Kazuki Hoshino
With gap between his casual sounding voice and the content, my heart beat quickened.
«I will eliminate you. I will destroy everything you value. Having obtained the 'box', I will steal everything from you. I can easily do so. After all I am---»
The voice got interrupted. No, that's not quite exact. I merely dropped the mobile phone.
"Kazuki...! Are you alright? What on earth did you hear?"
"Ah---"
There was obviously hostility. The other party has obtained the most powerful weapon---the 'box'---and declared that destruction would be brought against my life.
Otonashi-san picked up the cell phone and opened the voice file.
"This is---!"
She raised her eyebrow and was absorbed in listening to the voice.
After a while she flipped the cell phone shut, returned it wordlessly to me, crossed her arms and lost herself in thought.
"Kazuki."
She opened her mouth finally and unpleasantly spoke my name.
"Having been pondering all the time since the case this morning, I had some vague ideas for how we should proceed. But I still couldn't come to a conclusion. But after hearing this voice recording, I made up my mind."
Otonashi-san spoke while looking straight at me.

"I won't trust you anymore."

"---huh?"
I opened my mouth like an idiot since I didn't get the meaning of her words.
"You've also noticed by now, haven't you? This time's 'box' seems to use its power directly on you. You've already fallen into the hands of the 'owner'. Thus I cannot trust you."
I repeated those words in my head.
She can't trust me---?
"W-Why? I would never betray you, would I!"
"Right, but only if you're Kazuki Hoshino."
"Eh?"
"But are you really Kazuki Hoshino? Or are you the 'owner'?"
"W-What do you mean by this incomprehensible talk, Otonashi-san? The 'owner' is the person that recorded his voice on there, isn't he?"
"...did you not finish listening to the voice? No, even when you did not, you should have at least recognized this voice."
"Otonashi-san, did you find out whose voice it is? So we do already know who's the 'owner'? So you're acquainted with the 'owner'?"
"...well, I suppose it's not impossible that you don't recognize the voice right away. In fact, you've never heard that voice in that manner, and the style of speech was too different as well."
Otonashi-san didn't answer my question and murmured this instead. She then turned her back to me and made to leave the infirmary.
"W-Wait! Please, at least tell me who the owner of this voice is!"
She stood still. But she did not turn around to me.
"Kazuki, try listening to this voice once more when you've regained your composure."
Saying so, she walked away.
Stunned by her absolute rejection, I wasn't able to call out to her.
Otonashi-san left me alone in the room.
I listened to the recording once again and then, hearing this voice, which is unfamiliar to me though I'm hearing it all the time, I understood.
"Hahaha..."
I let out a laugh unconsciously. Fair enough. It's only natural that she can't trust me like this.
"---sh..it"
So, so what should I do now...!
«I can easily do so. After all I am---»
I listened to the words I overheard last time.
«---someone who shares the same body with Kazuki Hoshino».
It was the voice of no one else but myself.

May 1 (Friday) 13:00

Let's keep quiet for now.

May 1 (Friday) 14:00

My consciousness was disconnected.
And now my consciousness recovered.
I was sitting on my chair. Though it was supposed to be still time for lunch break, I was suddenly there.
I confirmed the time. It's fourteen o'clock, so the fifth lesson is about to end.
I looked around hurriedly. Kokone and Daiya's seats were empty. Perhaps the two of them left early. The others were more or less concentrating on the lesson. For now, I couldn't discover any abnormalities. My textbook, notebook and my writing utensils were placed on my desk. It seems I haven't written any notes.
There's no doubt left anymore.
Two humans exist in this body. Apart from [me], there's [another me] whom I cannot perceive.
And just now this [other me] had been controlling this body.
The chime rang.
The break's starting now, but because of what happened in the music room, nobody approaches me. Everyone just looks at me from far away.
I suppose this is also a state that was intentionally caused by the [other me]. After all, the [other me] declared an intent to eliminate [me]. This is his attack.
I fell flat on my desk.
What should I do about this [other me]? Now, that I was even abandoned by Otonashi-san.
"Hoshii."
I raised my face when somebody addressed me.
His expression was clearly different from the usual joking one. Haruaki asked me with a serious face that didn't suit him.
"Say, why did you do that to Kokone?"
I shut my mouth. There's no way I'd be able to answer this. I don't even know what «that» is.
"You know? I don't think you said that without reason, Hoshii. Therefore I think that you had a reason and that I'm just unable to understand it. But still, if it stays like this I won't get it! So please tell me!"
Haruaki painfully said.
"If you don't, I honestly can't be your ally."
Hearing those words, I thought.
To me, Haruaki is the last fortress that protects my everyday life.
Would Haruaki believe me if I told him that I was controlled by [another me]? ...if it's Haruaki, he might believe me. But---
"---I can't tell you. I can't tell you right now."
I mean, my own understanding of the situation is still muddled. I wouldn't be able to provide an explanation coherent and understandable enough to make him believe me.
"But I will tell you soon!"
To show him at least my sincerity, I said so while looking him in the eyes.
"Got it. I'll wait."
I'm sure he would really want to complain, but Haruaki suppressed this and stayed brief. And then he went away silently.
I'll wait. Haruaki said so. Therefore I mustn't talk to him until the time comes. I will lose him if I address him carelessly.
And I won't be able to retain the everyday life when I lost Haruaki, my last fortress.
...Yeah, I gathered what I have to do now. I have to learn more about this 'box' and the [another me] as quickly as possible.
But how can I do so? I mean, I can't even communicate directly with him.
"......Ah"
Right. To begin with, how did I learn of his existence? That is because he addressed me.
I left the classroom to the corridor and took my cell phone out.
In order to send the [other me] a message using its My Voice function.
Of course it's not certain if the [other me] will answer. But it should be worth a try, whether or not it'll actually work.
"Pleased to meet you; is that correct, [other me]?"
I started the recording.
"I now understand that you share the same body with me! But I'm still confused. I want you to tell me more about this 'box'. And I want you to reveal who you are."
Will he answer my questions if I state them in this direct manner? After all, he's trying to eliminate me.
Therefore I decided to provoke him.
"But I don't care whether you reply or not. Whatever your reply, it won't affect my behavior. I don't care whether you feel pure hostility against me, or have a noble goal, or have a reason that would make me pity you."
I was surprised myself by my unusual, but naturally emerging, hostile words. But I felt that it had to be said.
"I will not permit your existence."
I had the feeling that this determination of mine had to be conveyed.
I cannot permit this, can I? There's no way I could. Letting myself be stolen by someone.
My legs had started to tremble and I had leaned against the wall without realizing. Probably that's because my body couldn't keep up with the first distinct feeling of hostility I felt in my entire life.
I closed my mobile phone and took a deep breath.
I will crush the [other me].
No matter what his circumstances are, I will not permit his existence.

May 1 (Friday) 15:34

I noticed a voice file recorded by Kazuki Hoshino.

May 1 (Friday) 16:00

In front of me was the face of an unknown female student. In surprise, I let go of the strap I had been holding and fell over. While bearing the giggling of the surrounding people, I stood up and analyzed the situation.
Strap? So I'm inside a train?
No need to even think about it. My body had again been controlled by the [other me].
I took out my cell phone right away and discovered a new voice file.
I pressed the 'play' button.
«I see, so you can use this as means to communicate. I was just thinking that it'd be boring if things happened one-sidedly. Therefore I'll deign answer your questions!»
My own voice resounded from the speakers.
«I accepted the 'box' and let a certain 'wish' be granted. That is, to become you---Kazuki Hoshino!»
I held my breath.
«And really, when I did so I took you over... but look, could you really call this state 'taking you over' when I'm just able to steal some of your time temporarily? Rest assured! That's only temporary. The taking-over process will be completed one week after I used the 'box'. As soon as the date changes to May 6, in other words to the last day of the Golden Week, your soul is going to leave this body. With only mine staying in here.»
So in other words I have to destroy his 'box' within a little more than four days.
«Is that sufficient to explain the situation? Well then, you asked who I am. Huhuhu, this is indeed a difficult question! Who am I? To be honest, I don't know exactly myself! I mean, I'm Kazuki Hoshino, actually. But I don't think you accept this answer, do you? Because it can't be helped, I thought of an alias to distinguish between us! You may call me---»
He said with my voice.
«---[Yuuhei Ishihara].»
An unfamiliar name. I engraved it into my memory.
«Well then, so let me tell you my impression. You will not permit my existence, you say? Sorry, but I broke out in laughter! You cannot even meet me. At most you can blow your voice into your cell phone, like you did now, right? So how do you plan to do as you announced?»
[Yuuhei Ishihara] laughed hideously with my voice.
«Because I pity you, I'll teach you just one way to get rid of me. More than half of Kazuki Hoshino is already mine. Therefore it's simple---»
He spoke.
«---just commit suicide.»
Again he continued his unbearable laughter. I was eager to press the 'stop' button, but his message still continued.
His voice settled down and the final words of [Yuuhei Ishihara] were replayed.
«Oh, one other thing. There was a mail from one of your friends! Just in case, since you might have not noticed yet.»
A friend...?
I swallowed my saliva and opened my Inbox. The name «Haruaki Usui» was displayed at the top.
Though I don't remember having opened it, the mail was marked as already-read.
What---
What on earth did that guy do to Haruaki---!
I took a deep breath. But I couldn't calm down and chewed on my lips. It's vexing, but my hands were trembling.
I opened the mail.
«Please don't talk to me for a while.»
Aah---
Like this, the last fortress that protected my everyday life broke down.

May 1 (Friday) 23:22

I'm having a dream.
I'm having the same dream that I have had several times already.


Utsuro no Hako vol2 clock3.jpg





















No comments:

Post a Comment